Learn more about Exploration in Yukon Flats
HILCORP SHALLOW STRATIGRAPHIC TEST PROGRAM
During the summer of 2020, Hilcorp conducted an airborne gravity and magnetics survey over the Yukon Flats region as the initial phase of their exploration program. The next step is to further evaluate the geology via a shallow stratigraphic borehole program beginning in May 2021.
Glacial and river deposits have created a thick sequence of gravel and soft sediments over the bedrock. This stratigraphic test program will advance shallow boreholes to a depth of 250 feet below the surface to collect core samples and increase our understanding of the regional geology. No bore holes in the testing area will be located near rivers, drainages, or wetlands.
The areas Hilcorp will be conducting the stratigraphic testing are shown on the map below.
2021 PLANNED SCHEDULE
• Access to each site will be via helicopter from a base of operation at Birch Creek.
• Drilling equipment and all supplies will be flown in and moved from site to site by helicopter.
• The boreholes will be drilled about the same depth of a typical water well – approximately 250 feet below the surface.
• The drilling will be completed by a small rig placed on cribbing at the drill site. Each borehole will take 2 to 3 days to complete.
• The boreholes will be plugged and abandoned with any cuttings created from drilling and bentonite to seal the borehole. Any disturbed tundra will be placed to its original location.
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE?
Lands and Natural Resources Department
907-459-2030 or 844-428-2245 (toll free)
Jamie Marunde, Vice President Lands