In 2020, all 40 seats in the Alaska State House of Representatives and 10 seats in the Alaska State Senate are up for election. Find a list of candidates on the sample ballots for your district here. If there are no candidates who support your ideals, consider running for office yourself!
Municipal and Rural Educational Attendance Area (REAA) elections are your chance to have a voice in the local election process. These elections offer an opportunity to select representatives who share your values and vision for your community.
The importance of voting cannot be overstated. Voters in past municipal elections have passed local ordinances that include the sale of marijuana, tax increases, and the types of material you can burn for heat in the winter. Likewise, the REAA is your voice at the table regarding your children’s educational needs, school funding, and adequate access to technology.
Get Out The Native Vote (GOTNV) encourages voters to find out more information about candidates running for the REAA seats. These individuals represent your community and are advocates for your children’s education in rural Alaska. More information on the REAA candidates can be found on the State of Alaska website.
GOTNV strives to engage Alaska Natives, shareholders and tribal members in the election and voting process. If you would like to be involved with future GOTNV initiatives, please email email@example.com.
Here is some helpful information on voting in Alaska:
- First, register to vote. If you live in Alaska, you can register to vote and update your registration information up to 30 days prior to any election at
- Vote early. Early voting in Fairbanks begins 15 days before the election date. You can vote on or after that date at the FNSB building, 907 Terminal Street, or obtain an absentee ballot on the FNSB website.
- Mark your calendar. The FNSB, Fairbanks City Municipal and North Pole Election Day is Tuesday, October 6, 2020, from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. The last day to file for candidacy for the October 6, 2020 REAA Election is on or before 5:00 p.m. Friday, August 7, 2020. The withdrawal deadline for a political party candidate to remove their name from the REAA Election ballot is Wednesday, August 19, 2020.
- Remember, you can make a difference. Voting is everyone’s responsibility. Demonstrate the importance of voting to your children and encourage your family and friends to participate as well.
July 19, 2020 – Deadline to register to vote or update registration
August 3, 2020 – Absentee In-Person, Early Vote, electronic transmission and Special Needs voting begins
August 8, 2020 – Deadline to receive absentee by-mail applications
August 17, 2020 – Deadline to receive absentee electronic transmission ballot applications
August 18, 2020 – Primary Election Day – Polls open from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
September 6, 2020 – Deadline to register to vote or update registration
September 21, 2020 – Absentee In-Person and Special Needs voting begins for REAA
September 26, 2020 – Deadline to receive absentee by-mail applications for REAA
October 6, 2020 – REAA Election Day – Polls open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
October 4, 2020 – Deadline to register to vote or update registration
October 9, 2020 – Absentee In-Person, Early Voting, electronic transmission, and Special Needs voting begins
November 2, 2020 – Deadline to receive absentee by electronic transmission ballot applications
November 3, 2020 – General Election Day – Polls open from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Register or Update Registration
- Find your Polling Place
- Early and Absentee Voting Options
- Disabled Voter Assistance
- Military and Overseas Voter Assistance
- Language Assistance
- Candidate Qualification
- Candidate Filing
- Current Candidate List
- Election Workers
Links to Helpful Information:
- GOTNV Statewide Efforts home page: www.aknativevote.com/
- State of Alaska Division of Elections home page: www.elections.alaska.gov
- City of Fairbanks Municipal Election Information: http://www.fairbanksalaska.us/election-information/
- Fairbanks North Star Borough Municipal Election Information: http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/bc/Pages/elections.aspx
- Voter registration instructions: www.elections.alaska.gov/vi_vr_how.php
- Find your poll location: www.elections.alaska.gov/vi_where.php
- Tanana Chiefs Conference Native Vote: www.tananachiefs.org/advocacy/native-vote/