Sand, gravel, and rock (SGR) are key to developing and enhancing community infrastructure.

Sand, gravel, and rock interests are managed by the Doyon Lands and Natural Resources Department. Doyon makes commercial sales primarily for capital improvement projects in local communities. Additionally, Doyon can make donations of these materials for local uses.

Doyon manages over 160 material sites across the Region, on and off the highway system.

Frequently asked questions

Doyon may be able to assist you with questions, but it is the responsibility of the buyer, contractor, or user to complete the initial application or forms and comply with all elements of the sales agreement including compliance with the Doyon approved mining plans and all applicable laws. Required reporting obligations must also be met to help ensure good land stewardship practices.

Can sand, rock and gravel be taken from any part of Doyon lands?

No. Sand, rock and gravel can only be taken from designated sand, rock and gravel pits and quarries.

What is Doyon’s policy on personal use of sand, rock and gravel?

Doyon will donate for most shareholder personal uses a fixed volume of sand, rock and gravel on a case-by-case basis, depending on the availability of material at an active, permitted, and currently operating site. Doyon can only waive its sales price; local operator fees, transportation fees and other charges may still apply. The shareholder is responsible for all of these costs.

What forms and documentation are needed for sales and donations?

For a sale, you must complete a Doyon Materials Request Form. Review the Material Site Permit and Plan Checklist. Once you have submitted the sand, rock and gravel request form to the Department, you will be notified of any further information required. For donation requests, similar forms must be completed and submitted. Forms are available on the Doyon website at, or we can send them to you by email or regular mail upon request by contacting the Lands Department. Doyon will not authorize a sand, rock and gravel sale or donation unless all forms are completed in full, and all required information submitted. It is the responsibility of the buyer to submit a request several months in advance before sand, rock and gravel is needed, as it may take 1-2 months to process a request.

How do I mine and transport sand, rock and gravel?

Doyon is not responsible for sand, rock and gravel mining, transportation, any required reclamation, or for developing or maintaining access routes to sand, rock and gravel.

Who is responsible for obtaining permits?

You will need to contact the Alaska Department of Natural Resources – Division of Mining, Land, and Water for further information, as these areas are outside of Doyon’s jurisdiction.

Can sand, rock and gravel be obtained from banks and rivers in the region?

The buyer, project contractors, and other users shall secure all permits and other authorizations as required by government authorities and provide Doyon with copies.

Useful facts about measuring SGR

  • A full-size pickup bed can hold approximately one cubic yard.
  • A standard dump truck has a capacity of 10-12 cubic yards.
  • For example, a request for 1,000 cubic yards would require 100 dump truck loads, this does not include driver and fuel requirements.

For more information contact the lands department at, (907) 459-2030, or 1-888-478-4755 ext. 2030.